Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar Weekend

For this year's Oscars, I managed to watch three films vying for the coveted golden statue.

First was "Toy Story 3".....


then "127 Hours".....


while the last being "Black Swan".


The three didn't disappoint hence the Oscar nominations. "Toy Story 3", is like the pinnacle of the series. Though a bit predictable at times, nothing beats a plot of pint-sized talking cast trying to rescue "toys in distress".

James Franco in "127 Hours" delivered a convincing performance as Aaron Ralston while the film gave me a grasp of what might have happened during Ralston's ordeal "between that rock and a hard place". With its much talked about graphic amputation scene (which made me want to leave the theater and return after the scene took place) I'd say that the film succeeded with its purpose of getting into one's senses. And that I think is what an effective film is: something which hunts you over and over after you've seen it.

Nina Sayers in Black Swan, is probably Natalie Portman's finest performance to date. Here I saw someone living every inch of her character. I could feel the rigorous training she had underwent and her desire to achieve perfection, just like an actual danseuse would. Though I am far from being a danseur myself, having taken Ballet in of my Physical Education classes back in college, I could attest to the discipline and hard work needed for the craft. The production team didn't disappoint either. Every inch of it was well researched from the set to the costumes by Amy Westcott. As with the other actors, I think that everyone deserves a nomination, even Winona Ryder with her 15 minutes of screen time didn't disappoint either.

And that wraps my thoughts at a few of the nominees. Best of luck to the rest of the nominees and congratulations to all the winners for this Sunday's Oscars. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment