Thursday, March 31, 2011

Homage to Domingo and Wood

I was sorting my stuff (again) when I saw this piece of work I did in one of my college class.


I thought of doing something that would illustrate "the Filipinos of today" hence I decided to use Damian Domingo and Grant Wood's "American Gothic" as references which I then combined with "Pinoy Pop".

Front of "Mabuhay" magazine's 1982 cover.


A few of the works featured in the magazine. (Not sure though if all are by Domingo.)

A frayle? (friar) or perhaps a Government official.


A mestiza indio wearing a staple clothing back in the day: a
baro (top), saya (skirt) and alampay (shawl).


I just love the detailing in these type of illustrations. Here, a pair of what appears to be insulares or Spaniards born in Spain en route to the church is seen.

A mestiza resting after a day's work in her camisa and tapis.

Another mestiza off to church wearing a baro y saya.

An indio or local off to a day of sabong (cockfight).

Fin. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment