Friday, April 8, 2011

Barong Project

Barong (bah-rong) is the traditional outfit of Filipino men. Often times it is worn during special occasions and with just a week before my graduation, I'm sharing you my recent project which is , you guessed it: a Barong.

Filipino President Manuel Quezon (pictured below) was the one who dubbed Barong as "the National Outfit of Filipino Men". However it was in the 60's when then President Marcos summoned a "Barong Tagalog Week" which further popularized the garment.


Director Quentin Taratino wearing a Barong during the Announcement of Nominees at the 2007 Golden Globes. It was reported that he's fascinated by the garment that he donned it at the event.



The material I worked with was jusi (who-see). It was originally made of woven silk and pina (pineapple) threads. I initially thought of using pineapple as my fabric but find it a bit stiff and sheer. Although its my first time to use jusi as material (not to mention my initial attempt to make a Barong), I'd say that I'm happy with the result. :)


I also thought of using these as accents for the shirt but find a bit too much. I'll find other use for these in my future project(s). :)


Initial sketches for the shirt.



Laying out the sleeves pattern.


I knew that I want to incorporate pleats for my shirt. With its paper-like texture, pleating is one of the techniques applicable for jusi. Although not exactly the happiest thing to do BUT then again, do I have a choice? LOL


The pleats as it appears on the shirt and the garment taking shape.


Sewing one of the sleeves.


I'm not liking the idea of a white Barong so I decided to dye it using coffee. .




Sewing one of the buttons and buttonholes by hand.


Finally, a preview of the shirt.


I just love the texture at the back.


More photos soon. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment