Monday, February 11, 2013

How do you make an "IMPACT"?

Books on art and fashion are just some of the things that i like to splurge on. But I do have a few considerations though: 1. If the book interests me (guess that applies to anyone)and 2. IF I COULD AFFORD IT! (guess this also applies to anyone as well.) The books that I managed to collect through the years had provided constant sources of inspiration to me. Well if money is not an object, there are still a number of books that I want to have. HELLO McQueen's "Savage Beauty"! ^_^ More recently though, I managed to buy a copy of "IMPACT: 50 Years of The Council of Fashion Designers of America".
I had a hard time deciding whether I'd buy it or not but for a cheap price (waaaaaay cheaper than the regular price!) who can resist right? Published by Abrams, the book, as the title suggests, chronicles the contribution of American designers on fashion in general. Apart from that, the book also gives a background on the birth of CFDA. How fitting with the title is that 50 American fashion designers were asked what they think is their impact on fashion. Some of the designers included were:
Norma Kamali and a photo of one of her "parachute dresses" as well as Vera Wang with this couture concoction!
The cover even has these photos! (Rodarte for Swarovski Elements and a photo by Clifford Coffin!)
Flipping through the pages is a feast for the senses and like reciting a litany of saints! I would have taken more photos but the book is just heavy! The book even has entries on designers I've only heard of recently like Robert Comstock, Monika Tilley, Bill Haire, Ulrich Grimm (shoe designer) and a lot more. I only wish that they have included photos for most of the designers. (Thanks to google for helping me familiarize myself with most of them. LOL!) I also wish that they have entries on designers like...
Rebecca Moses.
The Brother/Sister tandem of BesBen!
and Thakoon Panichgul. Overall, the book is a good buy, informative and a great source of inspiration for designers and fashion fans alike. (Information on the book and on CFDA can be found here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment