Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Wellington Pt. 3: Te Papa Museum v.1

Been busy the past couple of days (this PLUS the fact that I can't access my account for reasons unknown) that I wasn't able to post any entries. But as they, its nice to be back and I do hope everything (blog-wise) will be back to normal as well.

I'm still in the process of chronicling my wonderful trip to NZ. In my most recent post (prior to this one) you may have noticed my mentioning of Te Papa Museum. In a nutshell, Te Papa ("Our Place" in Maori) is the national museum and art gallery of New Zealand located in, where else? Wellington. The building which currently houses the museum was opened in February 14, 1998 while its predecessor, The Colonial Museum was founded in 1865.

Since I love visiting galleries and museums, I've made it to a point to drop by Te Papa when I went to NZ.

Preschoolers all lined up for a field trip.




A sea of people at the lobby of the museum.


Few of the pieces that greeted me upon entering Te Papa and in case you're wondering, picture taking is very much allowed. A far-cry from most museums back in Manila.


A Waharoa or gateway that was carved especially for the New Zealand International Exhibition held in Christchurch (1906-1907)



Caption from the waharoa with Cliff Whiting, a tohunga toi/artist whose photo reminds me of director Pedro Almadovar.


A canon which has been submerged for 200 years but looking good as new.


One section of Te Papa devoted to its flora and fauna.


A display depicting New Zealand's vast wildlife.


The Silver Fern (Ponga is Maori for fern) which has became a symbol of New Zealand and its people.


One thing very noticeable about Te Papa (at least for me) is the fact that they like to display items that are "BIG". From Giant ammonite.....


.....to Colossal squid.


I'm still thinking how many calamari can be made from this one.


Me with a Waka, a canoe used by the Maoris.



A section of Te Papa which is about early migration and features stories of migrants and their families who found New Zealand as their new home.





Tried my navigating and decision making skills with this interactive game.


And I'm happy to report that I'm a potential Captain. :)


That's it for now. More stories and photos soon. :)











No comments:

Post a Comment