Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Slice of Tokyo

Just weeks ago, I came across an update regarding a competition in I joined a couple of years ago.

Considered as a "gateway to the fashion industry", Japan Fashion Design Contest (now in its 49th year) had showcased foreign and Filipino designs during its long history. As a matter of fact, a Filipino even bagged the top prize last year.

The event made me reminisce my own "experience" in the same competition.

I joined the 47th edition of the competition. Submitted a couple of entries (4 I believe) Then I "forgot" about the competition for a while. A couple of months later I was informed that I won an award.


My winning entry was entitled "Convergence", a merger between the "traditional and the contemporary". It features a pair of bootpants using layers of T'nalak, a local fabric while the top is a blouson with pleated bodice and balloon sleeves. I imagined it to be made of silk.


Can you spot my entry?




My award. I still have no idea what it says. LOL


The competition is also a lot of firsts for me. First time to join an international contest and first time to get noticed and win.

Its such a humbling experience for me that they saw something in my entry. I mean look at the other entries:








Entry from one of the designers who I occassionally talk to.


It would have been a treat to be in the show, accept my award personally and meet designer Hanae Mori as she's one of the designers I look up to.


I did joined last year but no such luck. Was supposed to join this year but didn't as I was busy prepping up my NZ trip. Next year perhaps? Hell yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment